Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Pick of the Week: “Bright Knives, Big City”

Since we’re in the heart of November sweeps, there is A LOT of stuff to choose from. So, I wavered just a little on my Pick.

But since one of my favorite shows is returning this week, I just couldn’t go against it…

My Pick of the Week is the season premiere of “Top Chef: New York.”

I was a little concerned after this past season of “Project Runway” that maybe my beloved “Top Chef” wouldn’t be up to snuff this year. But I needn’t have worried because the show is rolling out all the stops in the Big Apple.

The premiere features the toughest (and longest) Quickfire Challenge ever, centered around—what else?—apples. I don’t dare give away what happens in this one, but it’s a truly delicious twist.

The Elimination Challenge is not too shabby either as the chefs face a challenge inspired by the different cultural areas of New York City.

But the best challenges in the world mean nothing if you don’t have good contestants. Thankfully, it looks like “Top Chef” has those in spades. The battlelines are drawn early as the two European contestants begin rubbing everyone the wrong way. And there’s even a culinary student in the mix this year to compete with the more seasoned chefs.

And no, I haven’t picked a favorite yet. However, there’s a real cutie I’ve definitely got my eye on. I just don’t want to jinx him so early…

My only disappointment is that Ted Allen will not be a judge on the show this year. But his replacement, Toby Young (who will appear in the seventh episode), looks like he’s going to bring plenty of snark to Judges’ Table. And who doesn’t love snark?

The season premiere of “Top Chef: New York” airs Wednesday, November 12th at 10 p.m. on Bravo. If you’re taping, please note that the show will not end until 11:15 p.m…

Photo Credit: Bravo