Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The "Teen Choice" Train Wreck

In my previous post, I talked about some of the completely unnecessary special segments we can expect during the Emmy Awards telecast.

But I have to believe that no matter what dumb stuff the Emmys do this year, there is no way they could ever sink to the level of the train wreck that aired Sunday known as the “Teen Choice Awards.”

I was actually on my computer updating this blog with the WGN re-run of “24” playing in the other room when a friend of mine called me to ask if I was watching them. Apparently, Nelly Furtado (after performing “Promiscuous”) had just told the audience to be sure to wear a condom if they were promiscuous. This statement came while three girls in bikinis played around in a hot tub at the front of the stage.

But it got worse. As my friend and I kept watching, we saw Dane Cook grope a mannequin he said was modeled after Jessica Alba (FOX quickly cut away.) and then listened to him tell a girl modeling sponsor JCPenney’s clothes that she would be pregnant by the end of the night. Headliner Kevin Federline’s “performance” was so obscene, most of it was dead silence as the network was forced to censor him (We were probably better off.).

Yes, you read it correctly. These were the “Teen Choice Awards.” And this was FOX, not MTV.

I don’t know which was worse—that 14-year-olds were subjected to this or that FOX was actually airing it. FOX, the home of this year’s most Emmy-nominated series!!!

FOX has always been the maverick of the four networks (which is one of the reasons I love it), but I think this, as Michael Kors would say, “definitely stepped over the boundary of taste.” Let’s hope they find their way back next year before its their turn to host the Emmys.