Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Thursday, July 14, 2011

My First Thoughts on the Emmy Nominations...

I think I can hear a lot of happy TV critics jumping up and down and screaming right now…

The main categories for the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards were just announced and there are some pretty big surprises. I missed a few of them since the live stream locked up on me—as it always does—but here’s what I got….

Drama Series

Boardwalk Empire

Dexter

Friday Night Lights

Game of Thrones

The Good Wife

Mad Men

The critics got what they wanted with Friday Night Lights, but it looks like that vague ending killed “The Killing”s chances. Some were also hoping for “The Walking Dead” and “Justified” as well. Remember that “Breaking Bad” was ineligible because it did not air during the Emmy period.

Lead Actress, Drama

Kathy Bates, Harry’s Law

Connie Britton, Friday Night Lights

Mireille Enos, The Killing

Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order SVU

Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife

Elizabeth Moss, Mad Men

Again, “FNL” got the love and the ending did not hurt Enos. No surprise the Emmys would go with Bates since they love to nominate her for stuff. But where is Golden Globe winner Katey Sagal ("Sons of Anarchy") or Kyra Sedgwick ("The Closer")?

Lead Actor, Drama

Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire

Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights

Michael C. Hall, Dexter

Jon Hamm, Mad Men

Hugh Laurie, House

Timothy Olyphant, Justified

The press in the room cheered loudest for Olyphant, but they were pretty stoked for Chandler, as am I, even though I never watched “Lights.”

Lead Actress, Comedy

Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie

Tina Fey, 30 Rock

Laura Linney, The Big C

Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly

Martha Plimpton, Raising Hope

Amy Poehler, Parks & Recreation

Congrats to McCarthy, who was stunned to hear Joshua Jackson read her name this morning. The critics will hate that one, but they will love Plimpton. But what does Courteney Cox have to do to get some Emmy love? Notice the absence of anyone from “Glee.”

Lead Actor, Comedy

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock

Louis C.K., Louie

Steve Carell, The Office

Johnny Galecki, The Big Bang Theory

Matt LeBlanc, Episodes

Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

This is where it gets interesting. Galecki and Parsons battling it out in the same category? Louis C.K.? But congrats to LeBlanc. He earned that one. Again, notice the absence of anyone from “Glee.”

Comedy Series

The Big Bang Theory

Glee

Modern Family

The Office

Parks & Recreation

30 Rock

That’s actually a pretty good list, I think.

The Movie and Mini-Series categories is when my feed froze, but I did get to see “The Kennedys” get nominated for Outstanding Movie or Mini-Series. Although I didn’t think it was very good, I’m thrilled for Joel Surnow because of all the crap he went through to get that thing on the air.

I’ll have much more once I get a good look at the whole list. In the meantime, feel free to comment on these major categories now…