Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Friday, September 14, 2007

"Nashville" Review: Getting Sucked In

Since I’ve never seen a single episode of “Laguna Beach” or “The Hills,” I never dreamed I would like anything about FOX’s new docudrama, “Nashville.”

But somehow I got sucked right in and by the end of the episode, I was in total speculation mode as to what will happen next…

“Nashville” follows five friends as they navigate Nashville and the music industry:

Matt Jenkins had some success, including a performance at the Grand Ole Opry, but then was dropped by Universal. Now, he’s struggling to make a comeback with the help of his friend, Jeff.

Chuck Wicks is on the verge of success. When the episode opens, he’s preparing for his first showcase for the record execs at Sony BMG.

Rachel Bradshaw is the daughter of Terry Bradshaw. She’s looking to make a name for herself in country music without the help of her father. She gets support from her friends Sarah and Lindsey.

Clint Moseley is the rich kid who works for his dad’s company selling airplanes. He is not in the music industry, but is friends with all of the others who are.

Mika Combs is the new girl in town fresh from Hazard County, Kentucky. She’s hoping to make it big as a singer.

When the episode opens, Rachel has a boyfriend, but it becomes clear fairly quickly that there is something between her and Clint, who is good friends with Chuck.

Mika moves into the apartment building where Matt and Jeff live and Matt starts hanging out with her.

But when they all come together at the end of the episode for a celebration (I won’t give away what they’re celebrating.), the sparks start to fly and some claws come out. After all, every docudrama needs a bad girl. I just never dreamed that it would be Terry Bradshaw’s daughter.

I can’t wait to see what daddy’s got to say when this one’s over…

If you’re waiting for me to tell you what it was about the show I liked, you’re going to have to keep waiting because I really have no idea. Maybe it was the pretty people, maybe it was the slick production (from the creators of “Laguna Beach”), maybe it was the music—I just don’t know.

I said in my review of “Bionic Woman” that a pilot had to introduce all of the characters and the plot and make it compelling enough for you to want to come back. Somehow “Nashville” did that for me.

And here I thought I’d have Friday nights free…

“Nashville” premieres Friday at 9 p.m. on FOX…