Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Sunday, October 05, 2008

“Kath & Kim” Review: ???

So I watched the premiere of “Kath & Kim” so I could review it for you.

But now I’m wishing I could get those 22 minutes back so I could do something more productive with them…

“Kath & Kim” is an American remake of an Australian comedy about a dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship. Kath (Molly Shannon) has found love with Phil (John Michael Higgins), the owner of a mall sandwich shop. But Kim (Selma Blair) has decided to leave her new husband, Craig (Mikey Day), because he wants her to actually do something around the house. So, Kim moves back home and disrupts Kath’s blissful life.

This is where hilarity is supposed to ensue. But it never does. In fact, even mild humor never does. I honestly can’t find the words to explain just how unfunny this show is…

Kath and Kim are supposed to be humorous because they are clueless and tasteless. But the jokes just aren’t funny. I only laughed once during the 22 minutes, and that wasn’t even out loud. Shannon and Blair are talented actresses capable of being very funny, so it’s almost painful to watch them trudge through this. More than once I asked why the two of them are slumming like this…

I have always been a fan of Higgins, but his character is completely annoying. He is meant to be quirky to clash with Kim, but he is just completely stupid.

Don’t believe me? Phil’s last name is Knight. Kath’s is Day. And don’t think they don’t bang that over our heads every chance they get…

Whenever I see a new show this bad, I always have to ask what the network was thinking by putting the show on the air. And in this case, I can’t help but ask, NBC let “Scrubs” go for this?

And with “Kath & Kim,” they actually re-shot the pilot. What in the world do they think they improved?

I can’t help but wonder if NBC Entertainment President Ben Silverman isn’t just throwing a bone to the show’s production company, Revielle, the company he created.

He’s definitely not throwing a bone to the audience with this disaster. And if thinks he is, we need to throw it back…

“Kath & Kim” premieres Thursday, October 9th at 8:30 p.m. on NBC…

Photo Credit: Mitchell Haaseth/NBC