Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Sunday, October 05, 2008

“Chuck”: Sold!

In my review of the season premiere of “Chuck,” I said the show had a lot of potential, but it wasn’t enough to sell me.

Well don’t look now, but I think they’ve sold me…

This past weekend I had the opportunity to see the second and third episodes and they both build on the momentum started by the premiere as the excellent cast is aided by the addition of some great guest stars. But what really hooked me is the story.

What can I say? I’m a sucker for a star-crossed romance…

In the second episode, Chuck (Zachary Levi) must go undercover to get the Cipher (the key component to the new Intersect) from a sexy female spy (Melinda Clarke, “The O.C.”). But in order to do so, Chuck must learn the art of seduction from a master spy, Roan Montgomery (John Larroquette), who unfortunately, is not what he used to be. And Chuck’s mission is made even more complicated by his and Sarah’s (Yvonne Strahovski) growing feelings for each other.

Meanwhile, back at Buy More, Lester (Vik Sahay) finds some creative ways to gain respect as the new Assistant Manager. And Captain Awesome (Ryan McPartlin) makes a not so awesome move by taking Morgan’s (Joshua Gomez) romantic advice.

In episode three, Matthew Bomer returns as Bryce, Chuck’s nemesis and Sarah’s former lover. Chuck’s jealousy goes off the charts as Sarah and Bryce must pose as a couple. And even Captain Awesome gets involved to help Chuck out. Morgan has his own problems as he faces off against a bully played by former New York Giants great Michael Strahan.

These episodes are lacking a little in action, but I actually think that’s a good thing. The action sequences never have that necessary pop and the absence of them allows the show to play to its strength—comedy.

Even the supporting storylines are funny as I’m really starting to dig Anna (Julia Ling), who has a classic moment in the third episode.

But the real reason for me to watch is Chuck and Sarah. As Chuck starts to see a future as a normal person, he starts to see a future with Sarah. And she’s actually starting to see it too, which makes her job much more difficult.

I wouldn’t call “Chuck” the best show on TV by any means, but it’s pretty darn entertaining, and a real plus for NBC’s schedule.

And yes, I’ve just added it to my must-see list…

“Chuck” airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on NBC…

Photo Credits: Andrew Taylor/NBC and Mitchell Haaseth/NBC