Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Pick of the Week: A Huge Heart

I know that some of you just don’t understand why I’m such a fan of Kathy Griffin…

After all, she’s foul-mouthed, she tells filthy jokes, and her publicity schemes can sometimes get a little out of hand (cruising with Adnan Ghalib?).

So why is it that I can’t stop watching her? Because I know that under all of that is a huge heart. And there’s no bigger evidence of that than this week’s season finale…

Thus, my Pick of the Week is “Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List.”

I first got hooked on “D-List” when I saw Kathy in Iraq entertaining the troops. I was so impressed that she was willing to risk her life just to give our soldiers a good laugh. Now, she’s not risking her life, but she is risking her heart as she goes to Walter Reed Hospital to entertain the injured soldiers there.

In a recent interview with “TV Guide,” Kathy said she had to fight with Bravo to make the hospital the focus of the entire hour.
“[T]hey didn’t want to make it a whole episode. But I found that those guys at the hospital—the majority were amputees—just have the sickest sense of humor and were so wanting to laugh and use humor to get through their situation, because that’s how they deal.” She told the magazine she told Bravo that she would still be “making a fool of myself and saying inappropriate things,” but she wanted to show what happens to “these people that you’re not gonna see on ‘The [bleeping] Kardashians.’”

I’m honestly surprised that she had to fight with Bravo on this one at all. I mean, what did they want to see?

Yes, there will be a lot of bleeping and some pretty filthy jokes, but I encourage you to watch because I know in the end you will be inspired and touched. But be sure to have your tissues handy, because you’re going to need them.

“Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List” airs Thursday, August 14th at 10 p.m. on Bravo…

Photo provided by Bravo