Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Monday, June 02, 2008

You Sir, Are No Bert Convy

When I was a kid at home during the summer, one of my favorite shows to watch was “Super Password.”

It was a game show hosted by Bert Convy in which celebrities gave one-word clues to contestants to help them gain points that would get them to the bonus round, where they could win big money. It was an update of the show from the 60s.

The show’s announcer, the wonderful Gene Wood, would whisper the password to the audience (even though we could read it on the screen) and then the contestants and celebrities would take turns giving the clues to the same word.

Convy and Wood had a wonderful chemistry and the celebrities were always a lot of fun—especially Betty White, who was the best celebrity player of them all (Her late husband was the show’s host in the 60s.).

So when I heard that CBS had revived my favorite game show, I was pretty excited. But let’s face it. Regis Philbin is no Bert Convy…

“Million Dollar Password” is a revved up version of the old “Password” with quicker rounds, a la “Pyramid.” You get a lot more action, but I miss that whispered password. And Regis comes off terribly stiff.

But I have to admit that I still got into the premiere episode. Mainly because I have decided to renew my love for Neil Patrick Harris, who is…wait for it…awesome in the episode (His Regis was better than Regis’.). If only the contestants hadn’t been so stupid…

I will probably tune in a few more times, if only to see Rosie O’Donnell. You just know she takes her game shows seriously…

“Million Dollar Password” airs Sundays at 8 p.m. on CBS. You can see the premiere episode for yourself here.