Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Sunday, April 01, 2007

DirecTV Must Be Stopped!

The first DirecTV commercials were almost cute as you tried to figure out how they got Ben Stein and Bill Paxton to look like they were actually plugging DirecTV in the middle of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” and “Twister.”

But then, they made a “Back to the Future” ad with Christopher Lloyd, messing with one of my favorite 80s movies. And now, they’ve totally stepped over the line…

When I saw Bob Uecker doing his “just a bit outside” scene from “Major League” during the commercial break of today’s NASCAR race, I braced myself for Uecker turning to the camera to make his DirecTV pitch.

So imagine my surprise to see the pitch being made by Charlie Sheen as Ricky “Wild Thing” Vaughn.

“Major League” is one of my favorite movies of all time, so of course I don’t like someone messing with it just for a crappy commercial. But could someone please tell me why a guy who makes $350,000 an episode for the top-rated sitcom on TV needs to skewer one of his best loved characters in a crappy commercial?

DirecTV must be stopped!