Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A March Madness Diversion...

I know I’m not the high school sports blogger, but since it’s March Madness, I hope you’ll forgive the diversion…

Because I would be remiss if I didn’t congratulate the Oak Hill boy’s basketball team on their first ever Ohio Division III district championship. It’s also the first district championship for any boy’s basketball team in Jackson County history.

So how did a team that had only won seven games over the past three seasons end up with a district championship?

Two words for you: Norm Persin.

That’s right. The king of Ohio high school basketball is at it again…

For those of you who don’t know me, I graduated from Chesapeake High School. There are a lot of things about my high school experience that I don’t care to remember, but Coach Persin is not one of them. After all, he taught me everything I know about American History—which was quite a lot until college and too much TV fried my brain cells.

He told me a few years ago that I was his second best student ever. I think it’s the only time I’ve ever disagreed with him (Coach, if you’re reading this, you know I’m #1.)…

So, when he decided to go home to Oak Hill, I was kind of upset, though I completely understood his decision. I (along with MANY others) just didn’t want him to leave until he got the job done (i.e. a state title). Plus, with the team he was inheriting, I figured he wouldn’t have time to turn the Oaks into a contender before he decided to retire.

I really should know by now to never underestimate Coach Persin…

Granted, the Oaks face an extremely tough test tomorrow night as they take on 22-2 Wheelersburg, who is ranked #6 in the state. But that’s why you play the game.

And I won’t make the mistake of underestimating him--or his team--again…

Oak Hill takes on Wheelersburg Wednesday, March 14th at 6:15 p.m. at the Convocation Center in Athens.

For more High School Sports news, click on the High School Sports link at right...