Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Thursday, August 03, 2006

And now the return of Clay...

First I mention Constantine and then I find his new single (which I'm listening to right now). Then, I mention Clay and guess who sends out a press release a little over an hour ago about his new CD?

That's right. Clay Aiken is back! Thank goodness.

The new CD is called "A Thousand Different Ways" and will hit stores September 19th (That's one day after my birthday. I'd like to think he knew that.). But, if you're looking for a bunch of new songs, you're going to be disappointed. The album features only four new songs and 10 covers.

Here's the track listing according to "Billboard" magazine:
Right Here Waiting (Richard Marx)
When I See You Smile (Bad English)
Without You (Badfinger)
Lonely No More (New)
Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word (Elton John)
Everytime You Go Away (Paul Young, but originally by Hall and Oates)
Everything I Do (I Do It For You) (Bryan Adams)
I Want to Know What Love Is (Foreigner)
These Open Arms (New, written by Jon Bon Jovi and Desmond Child)
Because You Loved Me (Celine Dion)
Here You Come Again (Dolly Parton)
Everything I Have (New)
A Thousand Days (New)
Broken Wings (Mr. Mister)

I agree that Clay is a master of the covers, as anyone who's seen him in concert knows; but I'm not sure if he's picked the right ones. Where is "To Love Somebody" or his concert scorcher, "Kyrie." And what happened to the new song he performed on his last concert tour, "Coming Back for More"? Apparently those of us who loved that song are just out of luck.

Clay is certainly playing to his power ballad strength, but at what cost? My biggest concern is that Clay will be destroyed in the press (even more than he has been) for his musical choices. Celine Dion and Elton John songs sound more like an "Idol" episode than a solid third album.

But as everyone knows, I would listen to Clay sing the phone book, so I will be at the store as early on the 19th as I can be to pick this one up. I'm guessing I won't be alone.