Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Sunday, April 09, 2006

TV on DVD Review: "Full House"

I think I’m probably one of the few people in the world who would include on their list of all-time favorite shows both “24” and “Full House.”

I didn’t remember how much I loved “Full House” until I started watching the reruns on ABC Family. But now I remember being hooked on Joey’s impressions, Jesse’s singing and Michelle’s cuteness.

Yes, I realize the show is overly sentimental and the morality endings are over the top, but how can you not smile every time Michelle says, “You got it, dude.”

In the third season, which was just released on DVD, Michelle (Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen) is at her very cutest. Stephanie (Jodie Sweetin) is in second grade, D.J. (Candace Cameron) enters junior high and Jesse (John Stamos) and Becky (Lori Loughlin) continue their relationship.

Among this season’s highlights: The whole family gets stranded on an island in Hawaii, Danny’s mother (Doris Roberts) tries to move in, Joey (Dave Coulier) goes on “Star Search,” the Tanners get a dog, and in one of my favorite episodes, Stephanie drives Joey’s car through the house (I still laugh every time Michelle says “There’s a car in the kitchen!”).

The morals are terribly corny and the hijinx have been done hundreds of times on dozens of other shows, but it’s nice to go back to a simpler time with John Stamos’ belted pleated pants and Candace Cameron’s big hair. A time before Mary Kate Olsen and Jodi Sweetin entered treatment facilities and before Bob Saget decided he was better off as an R-rated comic.

“Full House” is not for everyone, but if it’s for you, you’ll want to pick this one up since it’s one of the show’s strongest seasons.

Other new shows on DVD this past week include: the fourth seasons of “Knight Rider” and “Magnum P.I.” and the fourth season of another of my all-time favorite shows, “The A-Team.”