Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Book Review: A Good "sTori"

You know someone’s a good storyteller when you actually feel sorry for them that they only inherited $800,000.

Not to mention that you almost understand when they cheat on their spouse.

But somehow Tori Spelling manages to do both of those things in her new book, “sTori Telling”…

I was never a “90210” fan (although I did catch the final few episodes) and I’ve never been a Tori Spelling fan. But I loved “So NoTORIous,” so I got Tori’s book to get some more juicy gossip on her life.

And there is plenty, but not the kind I was looking for. Tori teases us with the revelation that all the actors on “90210” were hooking up with each other, but she doesn’t share who (other than her hookups with Brian Austin Green). And she breezes over the whole Shannen Doherty controversy a little too quickly for my taste. She also shares a little nugget about the actors re-writing the scripts during the final season of “90210,” but she doesn’t go into detail.

Several times she glosses over the real dirt, by saying “it’s not my story to tell”—which is true, but when has that stopped anyone else? I guess you have to admire her for that…

Instead we get only her story. And even if it isn’t as juicy as we might like, Tori still finds a way to keep us reading. We hear about her bad relationships with men, her dream wedding to the “wrong man,” and her affair/divorce/marriage.

At the heart of the tale, however, is Tori’s relationship with her mother, which she details with brutal honesty. What’s refreshing, though, is that she doesn’t completely blame her mother for their problems, but accepts some of the responsibility herself (and also reserves some for her dad).

I have to say that reading this book made me even more appreciative of the relationship I had with my mother. We had our moments, but it was nothing like this—a relationship carried on through e-mail and in the press. Tori’s mom never even called Tori to tell her her dad died. Tori found out via a text message from a reporter friend.

See? Now you’re feeling sorry for her…

If you’re a Tori Spelling fan, or someone who’s just interested in her life, you should definitely pick up “sTori Telling.” It’s breezy style sucks you in until you just have to sit down and read the whole thing.

If you’re looking for some juicy “90210” scoop, you’ll have to wait until Shannen Doherty or maybe Jennie Garth writes their books…